Dec 4th was National Sock Day! This reminds me of the many times where I go to fold the clean laundry and there is a sock that doesn’t have it’s buddy. Has this happened to you? I like to think of it as a mystery novel, “The Case of the Missing Sock”. In fact, I know that this happens to a lot of people because there is a day specifically devoted to socks! No matter how much you search the dryer, your yard, or even your entire house those missing socks are nowhere to be found.
In honour of National Sock Day, Why not try one of these STEM challenge for this week:
Find a creative way to repurpose those old mismatched socks that are laying around your home. You may only use items that you already have in your home, but there is no limit to what you use this week.
Here are a few ideas to help get your mind thinking:
- Make a puppet using leftover buttons and other things you find around the house. Give it a name and have a puppet show for your family.
- Make yourself a stuffed animal. There are lots of great no-sew ideas online for kids to make on their own!
- Turn your socks into clothes for your doll. Cut them in various ways to make a whole new outfit.
- Make yourself a phone holder for your arm so that you can listen to your music while you play or ride your bike.
- Make your dog a toy made just for them.
Sometimes things just don’t always work out the way we want – failure is a good thing though. If you’re not having any success, or want to continue on with the lost sock idea, write a short story about where you think they went and what happened to them. Do they jump out of the dryer and decide to go on their own adventure? Do they fall through the dryer holes into a brand new land made entirely out of … well, what do you think it could be made of?