Kids in the Kitchen: Pizza Potato Skins Recipe
I’m not going to lie, snack time is one of my weaknesses. I am quick to reach for the chips, cookies or candy that we have in the pantry instead of a healthy alternative. Sometimes it seems that those things are a lot easier then grabbing some fruit or veggie sticks out of the fridge. However, there are great healthy alternatives to these snack foods, and most of which can be prepared in 10 minutes or less, or even prepared ahead of time to just pull out and go.
Chips are probably pretty high up on my list of snacky foods. There’s something about the salt and crunch of them that i really enjoy. However, I have been working on challenging myself to put down the snacks and reach for something a little more healthy. Then I recently discovered this recipe and have fallen in love. It’s easy enough for your older children to make on their own, and younger children to make with support. Remember, when handling hot food or anything out of the oven, it is important to ensure that you use proper safety precautions and put on oven mitts.
Pizza Potato Skins
- 1 large potato
- 1tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of pepper
- ½ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Scrub your potato. Hold firmly in one hand and prick 3 times with a fork (this will let the steam out of the potato so that it doesn’t explode in the microwave).
2. Microwave on high for 3-6 minutes, or until tender all the way through. Test with a fork to be sure.
3. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
4. While wearing an oven mitt, hold the potato steady and cut in half lengthwise.
5. With a spoon, scoop out most of the pulp (the inside of the potato), leaving the shells about ¼ of an inch thick or about the size of your pinky finger.
6. Place the potato shells on a cutting board and cut each in half lengthwise.
7. Place them on a microwave safe plate. Spread each wedge with tomato sauce, sprinkle with oregano and pepper to taste and then top with the cheese.
8. Microwave on High for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. You could also top with any other items you may enjoy.
If you make baked potatoes for dinner, you can always make some extra potatoes and use them for this. For baked potatoes in the oven, scrub them and bake for 45 minutes at 450 degrees F. If you’re baking these wedges, place them on a baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes.